SA Residents call on John Rau to give answers over home rezone plans and five-storey push for Brighton
Residents call on John Rau to give answers over home rezone plans and five-storey push for Brighton
Residents are calling on Planning Minister John Rau to front a public meeting to explain rezoning plans. Picture: Stephen LafferSource: News Limited
IRATE residents are calling on Planning Minister John Rau to front a public meeting to explain his proposed expansion of a commercial zone at Brighton and Hove.
Mr Rau has proposed buildings of up to five storeys along sections of Brighton Rd.
He has also proposed rezoning 12 homes for commercial development as part of the Brighton and Hove District Centre Development Plan Amendment.
Holdfast Bay Council submitted its draft plan to the Minister earlier this year after a lengthy public consultation process, calling for lower height limits and fewer rezoned homes.
More than 500 submissions and a 350-name petition were lodged with the council against rezoning homes such as 1 and 2 Rutland Ave and 10 Edwards St as commercial.
Residents also opposed raising building height limits, citing fears of increased traffic and overshadowing of properties.
In a letter to the council last month, Mr Rau rejected the concessions the council had made to residents in the plan.
Instead, Mr Rau proposed lifting height limits from three storeys to five in some sections along Brighton Rd and suggested rezoning a dozen residential properties to commercial.
Rutland Ave resident Greg Smith said residents had invited Mr Rau and Holdfast Bay elected members to a public meeting at the Bay Function Centre, Glenelg Oval, at 7.30pm this Wednesday.
Mr Smith said residents were “disgusted” by the turn of events and said the government’s move to revert to the higher limits would “undermine and subvert this democratic process and the role of all local councils”.
“All residents have the potential to be affected by this style of State Government planning intervention and so all are encouraged to attend this most important meeting,” he said.
Residents pooled about $15,000 to hire a planning consultant to represent them during the council’s analysis of the plan, which has been under consideration since 2009.
Mr Rau urged the council to respond to his suggestions within six weeks of his September letter.
Holdfast Bay Council is expected to approve a response from chief executive Justin Lynch at a meeting tonight (Tuesday, October 28).
“The council is concerned and disappointed with your proposal to include a number of properties within the District Centre Zone that were either proposed to be removed from the Zone post-consultation (and therefore proposed to remain in a residential zone) or not considered as part of the DPA investigations,” Mr Lynch’s draft letter said.
“(The) heights do not reflect the desire of the community as highlighted throughout the consultation process.
“The council received significant feedback on this DPA during public consultation.
“It is therefore critical that this feedback is carefully considered when making any changes to this DPA to ensure that future development outcomes will be supported and embraced by both businesses and the wider community.”
Mr Rau refused interview requests last week.
He told the Guardian Messenger in a statement: “As the decision maker it is completely inappropriate for me to give a running commentary on a process that is incomplete.
“In accordance with the Act I wrote to the Council seeking their response to the proposal.
“I have not yet received a response.
“This feedback will be considered before a final decision is made.”